Monday, May 4, 2009

the aftermath

This was the night of the surgery (4/30).
You can see my nose case and "mustache dressing".


This was last night (5/3).
I got to take off the mustache, but I look like I got beat up.

At times, my eyes have been so swollen that I can't even open them. During those times, I could be found flustered on the couch with a bag of peas or corn on my eyes. I thought it would be nice to be off work for a few days, get a few things done, etc. but I didn't count on the not being able to see anything. I can't remember the last time that I sat on the couch and did absolutely nothing for an entire day, let alone two. It felt like a waste, but I guess those things happen when you have surgery.

Random funny story: In the hospital, right after the surgery Chase was there when I was waking up from the anesthesia. I kept trying to open my eyes, but couldn't, so I enlisted Chase's help to get the tape off them, unsure as to why they would tape my eyes closed. He kept telling me there was tape near my eyes, but not on them, and I was so confused as to why he was being so difficult and why he wouldn't help me get it off - clearly it was keeping my eyes shut. I was getting really frustrated with him(as frustrated as one can be when they are drugged up). Turns out, they were just so swollen they wouldn't open. Chase was right. No tape.

Anyways, the last few days have been better, though, as the swelling has subsided a bit. After the surgery the surgeon was telling us that he felt that it went really well. He said that my nose was smashed inside and that some of the bone was just powder. I think this must be from when I dove into my childhood best friend's (Jessica Hale) pool in the 6th grade. It was only like 4 feet deep. I don't know what I was thinking. I hit the bottom nose first. Ouch.

But I'm glad I got the surgery done after all. Now we await the revealing of my new nose. The plastic cast comes off on Wednesday morning.

3 comments:

  1. I just want to HUG you! I cant wait to see the finish product. I'm sure you will be just as gorgeous as you were before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie! You're looking great. Hope your recovery moves right along, and I also eagerly await more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You really look good! I thought it would be much worse. So glad you're healing quickly. See ya next week...Mamarushing

    ReplyDelete

You don't need a Google account to comment! Just select "Name/URL" when you click the "Comment as" drop-down menu, and type your name to let us know who you are before you let us know what thought this post inspired in you. No one likes to receive anonymous comments!