Monday, February 21, 2011

Bono & Grace

Bono2I have an odd obsession with Bono. However, that’s probably not as weird as my obsession with John Travolta. (Okay, maybe the word “obsession” is a little too strong.) But we did plan the date of our plane tickets to move to Nicaragua based on our desire to go to the U2 concert in Norman, which was A-MAY-ZING! Best concert I’ve ever been to, hands down. (More on that below.)

The Bono thing didn’t really start until the Summit Leadership Conference, which I attended when I was a intern with some of the Wildwood staff and elders in 2006. When my friend, Abby, and I left, we were almost positive that we needed to move to Africa immediately to get involved in the AIDS crisis. Though the Lord has led us both to ministry in other places since then, there are several things that Bono discussed in the video below (an excerpt from the conference) that have stuck with me over the last 4 years, and will for the rest of my life, I’m sure.


Summit Leadership Conference 2006: Bill Hybels interviews Bono

I came across this article today and was struck again by how much I admire Bono’s honesty and genuineness (Read it! It’s really good!). A man who has been scrutinized and judged strongly throughout his life understands grace in a way that strikes me to the core. Bono has wisely asked himself the question “What are you going to do with this thing called ‘celebrity’?” and his life—his deep desire to help the poor and the sick and to activate others to do the same—answers this question well. He realizes the eternal significance of the Word that should strike reverent fear in all of us. I, for one, don’t want to arrive in Heaven to hear God say ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ (Matthew 25:45).

Here is an excerpt from the article that I especially liked:

Along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so you will sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff.

Love interrupting. I’m so thankful today for grace, for the love of Christ that interrupts the consequences of my actions, that allows me to have fellowship with the Father.


And, just for fun, here are some  pics from the best concert ever! If you happen to have a Bono/U2 obsession similar to mine, you can even watch a video from the concert in Norman of Bono singing about that grace we depend on here.

IMG_7075IMG_7039IMG_7082IMG_7020

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't need a Google account to comment! Just select "Name/URL" when you click the "Comment as" drop-down menu, and type your name to let us know who you are before you let us know what thought this post inspired in you. No one likes to receive anonymous comments!